Saturday, August 8, 2015

Color themes and a quote about teachable moments

Last year I discovered the joys of having a color theme. I wouldn't have thought yellow and teal could create a welcoming feel, but they did!



This year I'm going out on a limb and trying yellow and black, with a little red, with polka dots.

I couldn't find the titles in the size I needed so I made my own, using Teaching in High Heels Digital Backgrounds and Hello fonts "Engineer" and "Be My Pen Pal"
At our school's annual rummage sale, I picked up this cute trio of wooden mirrors. I had a blast transforming them to fit this year's color scheme! Now the kids don't have to borrow my mirror when they want to see themselves--I'll have these hanging from the wall.

Well, in 8 days I'll be back at school for two weeks prep before the students arrive! Here is a quote I came across today that I thought was good for me to remember:


"When the timing is right, the ability to learn a particular task will be possible. This is referred to as a 'teachable moment.' It is important to keep in mind that unless the time is right, learning will not occur. Hence, it is important to repeat important points whenever possible so that when a student's teachable moment occurs, s/he can benefit from the knowledge." (Robert Havighurst, Human Development and Education, 1952)

No comments:

Post a Comment