Wednesday, July 15, 2015

intro/summer reading

This is the place where I'll record my wanderings through the Wonderful World of Teaching. What I'm learning, what is working, what I cannot figure out for the life of me. Something like that.

The last couple weeks of summer I've been teacher-book motivated!I finally got out and read The Daily Five, began The Cafe Book, switched over to Summarizing, Paraphrasing, and Retelling, and hopped back into The Book Whisperer (which greatly influenced how much independent reading went on in my class last year).

You know what's been cool? This summer I took a satellite AACS class called "Diagnosing and Treating Reading Difficulties in Your Class" by Dana Davis of Maranatha Baptist University (excellent class, btw). And then I've been slowly working my way through Coursera's "Foundations for Learning 6: Introduction to Student Assessment." And I've been looking at teacher blogs (teacher blogs rock!). But what has been so amazing is how I'll read about comprehension in one book that hearkens back to the satellite class I took. Then I'll read a blog post I was procrastinating reading that confirms exactly what I read in The Book Whisperer the night before. So many connections! I'm thankful to the Lord for connecting everything for me as I hop from one thing to another.

Right now I'm excited about Teaching Maddeness' Great Poetry Race idea for homework. The last couple years I've wanted to start doing monthly poems, but I've never been able to get the idea off the ground. I love how her Great Poetry Race idea not only exposes children to poetry every week but also helps build fluency!

Hopefully by next week I'll know what grades I'll be teaching so I can start planning for next year more concretely.

Until then, happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment